Thursday, February 05, 2004

Sa amata le 'Aoga (School Started)

So I've just about finished my first week of real work here in Samoa. The children started school this week and Wow!....I've got my work cut out for me at this school. The teachers have been very welcolming and I'm growing to love my students already. It's a small school for Special Needs kids. On staff, there's the Principal, 5 teachers, the cook, the driver, and me. On any given day we have anywhere from 16 to 25 students. I'm teaching computers using one very old 486 with Windows 95. At this point I'm only teaching what the parts of the computer are and how to point and click. Eventually though, I know I'm going to need to get a new computer that has a CD Rom that can play educational games (probably at the pre-school level). My biggest accomplishment, however, this week was getting soap put into the bathrooms. I've got about a million ideas for improvements but I know I can't be too eager. I know I have to establish rapport with the staff first so that they will want to help with these projects for their own school. I have new pics but I have yet to send them. Mail goes out on Tuesday I will try my best to get to the Falemeli (post office) by then.
Thank you for all of your kind and warm words regarding my friend's tragedy. She's in my thoughts everyday and it has helped knowing that all of you care so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home