Friday, January 16, 2004

First "real" attempt at writing my own post

I'm attempting for the first time to actually type my own post. Up until this point, I've been mailing letters to the States and sending e-mails to my good buddy Todd, who has so graciously offered to help me with this little website record keeping of my Peace Corps experience in Samoa.
Well, if you haven't already heard by now, Samoa started the new year off with a bang or as some might call it, a tropical cyclone. Her name was Hurricane Heta and she left a wake of destruction in her path. She came Sunday night of January 4th. Peace Corps evacuated us inland to a hurricane safe hotel for three days. The capital city, Apia, was without water and electricity for 6 days. Most of the island has water now but most of the villages are still without power. Luckily, there was no terrible destruction done to my school where I live, only a few fallen trees. Other volunteers' sites were not as lucky. There are a couple whose houses were completely detroyed. Samoa is doing an amazing job at cleaning and rebuilding though. There hasn't been a hurricane since '91 but they seem to hit every 10 years or so and I guess the people here are accustomed to the process.
Well, this is a quick post. More to come soon as now I know how to do this myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home