Friday, October 31, 2003

Talofa Lava!

I've been in Somoa almost 3 weeks now. We just returned to Apia today after spending a week with our families in the village of Si'ufaga. We have trainings (i.e. school) everyday from 8:00am to 4:00pm. Our trainers are native Samoans who work for the Peace Corps. They are the warmest, kindest, most giving people who take excellent care of us.

The first week in the village was extremely challenging for us. We have all experienced more than is possible to put into words. My challenges were much different than the ones I expected to go through when I signed up for Peace Corps. The family I live with is actually quite modern. They live in the tradiitional open 'fale' but have a television, stereo, and a computer. Everyone in the village has running water and electricity. My Samoan family has cows, pigs, chickens, and two plantations. Both my Samoan father and uncle work at well paying jobs in schools. The shower and bathroom are seperate from the house and are very clean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home