Sunday, June 06, 2004

Malo le alo! (Good Paddling)

Yesterday I had my first ever competitive paddling race. It was an all day event of races, BBQ, and getting lots of sun in the harbour. Three different paddling clubs competed with two women's only teams. My club's name is Nafanua and we had both junior and senior female and male teams. Our only gold was taken in the 250 meter sprint by none other than our Senior women's team. We won it by less than half a second. It was by far one of the most awesome feelings I've had here. Of course, even if we hadn't won any races the day still would have been a spectacular cultural experience. I participated in a traditional Samoan sporting activity and was fully integrated with my community of Samoan paddlers. They are an awesome group of young Samoans who love the sport and are welcoming of outsiders who also want to share in their culture. My decision to join the paddling team continues to be one of the most positive ways in which to spend my free time. School break ends and tomorrow it will be back to my normal routine. The break has been awesome but it will be nice to get back to working with my teachers and students again. School during the day and paddling in the evening...can life be any more sweet on this tropical island? It'd be hard to imagaine...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home